The following mission statement was adopted by UCORE at the 2014 Conference. R-CORE members will operate under this mission statement until we vote as a body to make any revisions. Our mission statement is a living document that will evolve over time as members center our work in our community.
“We are social justice educators and unionists committed to creating schools and workplaces that advance economic justice, racial justice, and democracy. We call for equitable public education as a human right. We assert that the workplace rights of educators are an essential element of public education and that the well-being of communities in which our children live is as much a part of our mission as the work we do in our schools.
To that end, we join under these core principles:
- Public schools should be sites of creativity, imagination, and critical questioning in which students, educators, and parents work together to create meaningful learning experiences.
- Every student deserves an education grounded in trust, respect for diversity, and opportunities for joyful engagement in the world.
- Workplace justice and education justice are both vitally important and inexorably linked.
- Every educator deserves autonomy, respect, trust, economic security, and the time and resources to develop and enact a rich and varied curriculum.
- Our work requires and flourishes within democratic workspaces in which all workers are economically secure, their knowledge and expertise is respected, and all voices are heard.
- Our work as union members includes advocating and organizing for the above at the bargaining table, in our schools, and in our communities.
- We strive for member-driven unions at the local, state, and national levels.
- Our work as unionists extends beyond the classroom to include advocacy for economic and racial justice within our communities.
- We call for equitable and adequate funding for public schools. Without this our words cannot become reality.
- We commit ourselves to the struggle to defend public education against the multitude of attacks it is facing.
- Using our unions as vehicles to build racial and social justice.”